Since the introduction by my friend Katie in High School, Lent has been an inconsistent part of my Easter celebration. For fourty days before Easter the Catholic Church designates a time to sacrifice something in order to practice discipline and concentrate on the cross. Throughout college and High School I gave up things like coffee, soda, sweets etc. This year I have given up some semi-ambitious things (meat, caffiene...) but I quickly find myself replacing the things I have given up (with cookies, sweets...). This seems to cheapen the experience. I think I'm mainly writing this so I can be aware of what is going on. Part of this year too I've challenged myself to some disciplines that are proactive. I find that being disciplined in things such as prayer, other parts of my life seem to become more disciplined as well.
Let me just tell you, the fact that Girls Scouts cookies were delivered right at the beginning of Lent has not helped my cookie intake!
1 comment:
BK, if you need someone to confess your breaking of lent, I'm here. I just want you to know that i am here...
Post a Comment