Saturday, November 20, 2010

in the past 12 hours I've...

One never really knows what is going to happen before walking onto a shift at Starbucks, today was a prime example.  
  • I walk in and before any words are exchanged I receive the "It's been CRAZY today" look from Josh
  • Boxes are stacked to the ceiling - it's our weekly order from Seattle...coffee, straws, cups, the important things
  • The brand spanking new software on our registers is broken.  Everyone is cranky because of this.
  • There is a new (never been told about) buy one get one 1/2 off special on all Holiday drinks (make note, get coffee with a friend this week...only till Sunday).
  • We are short-staffed.  A new-hire decided to quit this week.  Sure, do the training, then quit!
  • Yet in the midst of all of this it is this night I decide it necessary to go to Subway for dinner and pick up sandwiches for us all from a fellow Starbucks barista, who also has a successful career at Subway in the evenings. (Mine was meatball, hadn't had it in awhile.  Extra olives and that spicy stuff)
  • The IDENTICAL ..." twin" of a good friend who just moved away walked in.  Making me feel happy and sad, and finally just warm and sentimental for the rest of the evening.
  • After a very slow close, Josh and I decide to unpack all the boxes that are stacked to the ceiling
  • It is in this moment a small desire to run a coffee shop someday rises with in...
  • At 2:06am (three hours before our openers come open the store) I am in my car on my way home.
  • On a whim of spontaneity and adrenaline, I decide to stop at the 24 hours Walgreen's, just because.  
  • Unfortunately, most of the store was closed due to floor waxing. :(  So I just looked at make-up.  
  • I drove home with no purchase from Walgreen's.  Made my bed.  And sat to write this post.  :)
I feel like brother Andrew who talks of how he is more of a nocturnal creature.  Tonight.  I am too.  
    

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

o bethany, you're so whimsical. love that about you :)

Mom Keena said...

So just how much coffee did you have this day? :) Sounds like a full, lovely day!