Saturday, September 10, 2011

A New Season




As the leaves are changing colors, I can't help but get excited for the lovely season of fall!  I've pulled out my favorite boots, dug out my fleece and found my favorite hoodie.  Bring it on. 

With the change of season comes many changes in my personal life.  I'm tooo excited to tell you about.

During my time in China I was able to spend a lot of time praying about the future.  There were two things on my heart; working in a daycare or an after school program and staying in Chicago.  I especially couldn't shake the after school program. 

So, once I returned to the States and began looking for a job it was natural for me to contact my friend at a preschool.  She responded that some jobs may be opening up "soon", in the mean time come and volunteer. 

So I did.

For three months.

Three months of "It looks like a job will be opening up soon...I'll know more information in two weeks...At the end of the month...etc."
It was a time where the Lord continually reminded me to "Wait". There were other job opportunities close to family that were VERY tempting. They seemed like a great fit. But I really felt the Lord telling me to stay in Chicago.



This is what I liked about the preschool.  First, it's an old organization (Lydia Home) in the city of Chicago that has a heart for those who are in a hard spot.  There are a lot of people there that are "rough around the edges".  I like that.  I found myself thinking and wondering about some of the kids when I was not volunteering.

Side note...one thing I struggle with in my walk with God is doubt.  I doubt that He will provide.  I doubt that He is enough.  I doubt...so I try to control how I will be provided for.  I try to meet needs on my own.  This time of waiting was one filled with prayers.  Wrestling.  And the Lord stripping me of things I found identity in (job, car, house...).  Throughout this time the Lord was faithfully providing and providing and providing in big and small ways everyday.  My comfort in doubt was being shaken. 

Last Friday when I walked into volunteer at the preschool I was pulled into the directors office.  She asked "How would you like to run our after-school program?  Our current teacher just resigned and we want you to take her spot.  We need you to work in the preschool in the mornings and then take care of the after-schoolers in the afternoon.  What do you think?"

What did I think?! 

I think that God knows abundantly more what I need and provides specifically for each one of us children. 

That's what I think.

After an overwhelming day of seeing the Lord provide I came home that evening and checked my email:  "Bethany, I know you've been staying with us for awhile but due to some legalities you are going to need to find a new place to live by Sept. 30th" (paraphrase)

And the prayers went up as I sat feeling slightly deflated.  

And He answered.

As of yesterday I've been approved to live in a house owned by Lydia.  The house is right next to Lydia.  It's a beautiful house, with three other single girls who love the Lord and also work at Lydia.  Not only do I now have a place to live, but my hour plus commute has just been cut to about two minutes. 

Tears.

I'm humbled.

As I look over the past three months I've seen God do a mighty work in my life.  I'm excited to see what will happen in this new season.  As this new season starts though, I do have a request from you.  Lydia pulls in people from all walks of life.  It is a ministry that serves a very diverse population.  There is a lot of brokenness, sin, and hurt within the people and the children at Lydia.  There is a very heavy spiritual presence about the work that is being done. 

I ask for your prayers.  I want Lydia, and my role as a teacher to be covered in prayer.  There is a lot of darkness.  I pray for light. 

As the Lord has led me through these last three months He continues to bring me back to Psalm 100.  It says "Acknowledge that the Lord is God; He made us and we are His,  His people, the flock He tends". 

This is what I pray for.  The Lord will be acknowledged as God.  I will live in faith, and in the power of the gospel with humility knowing that this work is not of me.

My heart (and eyes) are full as a type this.  I praise the Lord for his goodness!  His steadfast love is eternal, and His faithfulness is for all generations.

I pray that as the Lord brings me to mind, you will lift up what God is doing at Lydia. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

um. so incredibly happy for you. praising God right alongside you my friend. what a faithful, loving God we serve!! keep us updated on how your job goes...will pray for you (and Carla) as you come to mind. so stinking jealous you get to help change the world with Carla!! wow...love it. praise Him.

Susan Beth said...

Congratulations on the job and on your faithfulness to wait - waiting is hard!

My husband Andy is a criminal defense attorny who also represents parents and kids in abuse and neglect cases, so I understand some of the darkness you anticipate. We (Jansse, Andy and I) will pray diligently for you and those you are working with.

Remember, sometimes the light comes only to the next stepping stone - it is indeed enough. And sometimes you need to build in street lamps in your life even though it doesn't seem that you have the energy left to do it - small group Bible study, time with families that can remind you of the goodness of the way the Lord has it planned for families. The Lord will use these "little" things in your life to feed you the encouragement you might need when the darkness tries to overwhelm you.

But you probably know all that. Just from one dark corner of the world to another, don't forget to be proactive about bringing the light into your daily life.

I believe you will do well at what the Lord has put on your path! Again, congratulations!