Sunday, October 30, 2011

Chicago Weekend

As one who claims to love living in the city my transition to living back in Chicago has not come with out bumps.  There are days I longer for the quiet and ease of the suburbs.  Target is more accessible in the suburbs, as is quiet streets for early morning runs.

This weekend I have felt like a Chicagoan, and enjoyed it.  I began with a Saturday morning run through neighborhoods filled with old houses.  After the run I picked up a coffee at a local (non Starbucks) place as well as a Chicago Arts paper (with dreams of maybe going to play...but in reality just loving feeling in the know).  With my hair wet from my shower, hot Thai coffee in hand and a paper tucked under my arm I walked into my Saturday morning CPR training ready to save lives.  :)

Saturday night consisted of an unofficial Roomie Date night.  I'd like to say we had a lovely evening.  We went to a local BBQ place for dinner.  Not knowing what we were getting into, we pub on our cute earrings and jeans and headed to eat.  

The experience ended up being very casual and delicious!  But since we were still dressed up we decided to end the evening with dessert at yet another Chicago landmark....

Margie's Candies.  I'd never heard of it, but the shop has been around FOREVER! OK, over 75 years.  It was such a trip.  They are known for their ice cream.  I tried my first cheesecake ice cream...delicious!

And this morning as I was walking home from church at the Abbey Pub, I felt like this weekend was complete and full of Chicago city moments.


2 comments:

Mom Keena said...

Funny; I never thought of their being that big of a difference between where you are now, and the suburbs. But then, I live in Montana! Glad you are enjoying where you are. Love!

Caroline Rausch said...

Bethany! I lived right by Margie's Candies in the city! Did you go to the one by Lincoln Square?