Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Oh how I wish you could be a fly on the wall of my classroom...

As you watch from the wall you may think,  "Oh, my!  I never knew Bethany could loose her temper!  I thought she was always kind and loving with only cozy comfort spilling from her heart"

It is true - I can be kind and loving.  And I often am in the classroom.  But please.  I am writing this blog fresh after coming off of a day where the "time-out" chair was the busiest spot in the house. 

With that said, I love my job.  I do.  I love that it pushes me to grow-up in really important ways. 

Such as learning to love a child by being firm instead of always being soft. 
or
Don't take a child's tantrum personal, just because they cry when I put them in time out does not mean they hate me.  And even if they do hate me for the moment, I am learning they will always come give me a hug when they leave at the end of the day.
and
I'm learning how to be a leader of other adults who are both older and younger than I.  The value of encouragement is priceless.  The necessity of being firm at times (there's that word again).  Clear communication takes time...and grace is a must! 
and
PRAY!  Prayer makes walking in the Spirit much more personal.  I can tell the days where I've spent time in prayer and others are praying for me, and the days where I am not quite as "prayed up".  The battles are always bigger with out prayer. 

Looking back on this scattered post, I can see me trying to say...sometimes I don't like my job.  Some days I want to quit.  I get frustrated with something about everyday.  But in my weakness I can see the strength of the Lord maturing and humbling me.  It's a beautiful feeling to be in the Potter's hands, even when He is firm.  I see the grace of the Lord being poured out over my life; and I praise Him for what He is doing!

And finally...in honor of the name of my blog: below is the book I have been poring over the past couple weeks.

Love,
Miss Bethany

btw.  I have parent-teacher conferences next week...what?!  :) 

   

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh i so enjoyed this!!! i'm not surprised a bit...not at the firmness ("adriana" said in her bethany tone as emily is puking...and five years later, atticus ;), the love, the hard, the grace, the growth. it's just the bethany i know. and i am just. so. proud. of my humbled, sweet, spicy, world changer friend.

Bethany Keena said...

audi - you just made me cry. :)thanks.