Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Firm Voice

Considering this is my first time as a professional teacher I feel as if I learn something new everyday about myself, teaching, my kids...it's a lot of learning.

Today I learned the power of my firm voice.

In my three short months as a pre-school teacher I have found with in me a voice I've only ever heard once or twice in my life.

It is this deep, firm, low, eye-contact accompanied voice that is very serious and tinted with anger.

Yes, anger.

I'm telling you, it's a whole new voice.

It is not a voice I ever used in my customer service years at Starbucks.

Nor did I this voice in my years as an administrative assistant.

...I did use it once or twice as a sister...

But never in the workplace, until now.

I talked to a friend at work about it.  There is a part of me that is not comfortable with being angry and using such a firm voice.  She encouraged me and said some of it is a strength rising up from inside that the Lord is loosening.

I like it.   It reminds me that I'm the one in charge.

It reminds me that I am the teacher.

Which reminds me that I'm the one to care for, love and teach these kids.  And sometimes that requires me doing things I'm not always "comfortable" doing, like using my firm voice.

There have been so many times the past three months I think "I DON"T WANT TO" in regards to some of my responsibilities.  It's in these moments humility and grace come hand in hand and teach me that it's not my job to make my life easier but to respect and honor God in the place He's put me.  Which right now is working with these awesome kids.

Sweet.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I remember that voice... *shudder*

Grace Noelle Keena said...

you mean the voice that is used daily at camp agape?

Mom Keena said...

Loosening strength from within? I think sometimes I have lost that voice in an effort to keep everyone happy...so no one will be mad at me. I'm pretty sure that enables my weak person to reign. And no one profits from that, not me nor the ones that need to hear "that voice."

Bethany Keena said...

christa - :)
grace - yes THAT voice
mom - you are so wise and self-aware. I agree, that's why it was uncomfortable to use it at first. God was angry at the Israelites...a lot...and He still called them his chosen people! Good reminder. :)