Friday, January 14, 2011

love. love. love.

Ok - so, I realize the blogs have been deeper stuff as of late (aside from the Burrito Fairytale), but it's the deep stuff that is brimming out of my heart right now.  Like for instance, love.  I've been reading John Piper's Desiring God (no, I'm still not done...it's a thick one!).  He warns against legalistic love.  The kind of love that you do what you know you ought in actions but the heart is distant.  Legalistic love is so much easier than authentic love!  To follow the rules and never engage the heart, stay protected...it's safe and easy.  It's when I am called to put down my guard allow someone (or God) to love me - this is when love becomes riskier...and more rewarding.  This is when love becomes a process of refinement and joy, and not just a stagnate state.  Love is a gift, a gift of God...and when we seek to find our joy in God then our love for others pours out in response.  

And that, is my ever-growing thoughts on love.

For today.    

3 comments:

Mom Keena said...

I love your thoughts on love. Even if you did step on my toes. Interesting thought swirling around my brain. So if I don't love something, do I still have to do it? Hmmmm....

Bethany Keena said...

Wait, how did I step on your toes?

Mandi said...

good thoughts.