Friday, January 28, 2011

Pavlova

Last week I went to a dinner party and was asked to bring dessert.  Most dinner parties I would just bring something made from a box.  But this one was for a special friend who deserved a special dessert.  The most special dessert I could think of was one my mom would make for my birthday.  It is a dessert we had in Ireland and I loved it!  Below is my pioneer-woman-esque document of making my favorite dessert.

Ok. It's simple.
4 egg whites
1 c. sugar
1tsp. vanilla 1 tsp. lemon juice
2 tsp. corn starch

Heat oven to 300
On parchment paper trace a 9 inch circle.
Or, if you want to do mini ones trace something smaller as seen above.
Beat egg whites until thick and glossy.
While beating add the sugar one tablespoon at a time.
After egg whites are beat to look like the above, gently fold in lemon, vanilla and cornstarch.

Pouring into the center of the circle, use the circle as a guide creating small craters in the center.
Place into the oven to cook for one hour.  After cooking for the hour turn off oven and let sit for  one hour or longer.
The longer you let it sit the less likely they will crack when you remove from parchment.
My mom would make the night before and let sit in oven overnight.

For the topping, beat one pint of heavy whipping cream until...whipped.
No sugar necessary - the dessert is already SUPER sweet.

Chop fresh fruit...

...and assemble into a lovely desserts.  :)
Perfect for a dinner party.  

And in honor of my home making spirit, I donned my 4-H tshirt from when I was young.
It's a blue ribbon worthy dessert, if you ask me.

6 comments:

Katie said...

Wow, YUM! I totally need to try those!! Maybe you can come down and make some with me?

Love you.

Unknown said...

Wow. You amaze me. I thought I was good making chocolate chip cookies, and there you are making me look bad again! :) Good thing I love you and don't mind being shown up by my older (shorter) sister.

Mom Keena said...

They look beautiful, but pale in comparison to your gorgeous face! So glad they turned out. Now I want some!

pamellala said...

Would you believe I've had this dessert on my list of "what I want to serve at my cafe when I have one." Of course I've never made them myself... and I only have a fork to whip the egg whites, right now. I'm so impressed!

Bethany Keena said...

Pam, call me when your cafe is open and i'll beat the eggs by hand! :) ... well...we would probably have to take turns.

Mandi said...

so impressed! that was a great post!