Thursday, August 18, 2011

Review: Robinson Crusoe

Can you review a book before finished reading it...probably not.  But I'm going to.  I'm a rebel that way. 

I am mid-way through Robinson Crusoe.  I found the idea to read Robinson Crusoe in a biography of the founder of Salvation Army (no, I can't remember her name right now.  Nor do I have the desire to google it).

Upon her recommendation I picked up the book and was immediately intimidated by the old language.  I've been surprised at how readable the old language has been. It has been surprisingly easy to follow.  I even looked the book up on sparksnotes.com to make sure I knew what was happening and I did.  :) 

Sidenote:

While I was 'googling' this image for the book...
I came across this picture. 

At no point in my imagination has Robinson Crusoe ever looked like a hairy Pierce Brosnan...I giggled to myself upon finding this.  Heee Hee..hairy Brosnan.

Back to review...

Overview thus far: 

I knew very little about the book going in to it.  I just thought it was about a man's survival on a deserted island.  I had no idea of the spiritual themes throughout the book.  Crusoe has many brief and insignificant thoughts of God..until a moment on the island.  Then his ideas are changed...there is a very strong salvific theme.  It's beautiful to see the gradual change of perspective of his situation once He recognizes God's role in his life. 

The book is a good one.  A slow read, not gonna lie.  Hence my review mid-way instead of at the end...and an added bonus is some handy tips in case one is ever stranded on a deserted island.  Up next: Swiss Family Robinson?  Possibly.

1 comment:

Mom Keena said...

I always wish I could read as much as you do. Have you read "The Help"? I finished it in an amazing three weeks, and saw the movie the night after I finished it. The book is better, but it usually is. Movie is good, Dad enjoyed it without reading the book. On another note, I find the photo of Pierce a little unsettling. Loved, loved him in other things. But the hair is a bit over the top. (Pun intended!)