Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Security Check

You know when you go through the security check at airports and they make sure you don't have certain things in order for everyone to be secure? I was thinking today that my in my life there are certain things I like to have in order to feel secure. When I have these things, I feel as if I'm doing OK in life, I've got it together...I'm safe. These things include (but are not limited to):

  • a full pack of gum in my car, purse, and/or backpack
  • clean jeans
  • a full tank of gas
  • a full ice bin at work...and lids all stocked...in general most everything stocked
  • oatmeal in my cupboard for breakfast (dried cranberries always a bonus)
  • the side door to the basement locked at night
  • at least $5 cash in my wallet

These are what first came to my mind though I know there are others. Yet I realize that I will not always have these things, though I really like them. Yesterday while I was thinking about what makes me secure I had a brief panic moment of insecurity. I realized that the things on my list are temporary (and really pretty trivial), but I find a lot of security in them. Leaving the house this morning I carried with me in my mind the words "pure" and "steadfast" from Psalm 51. I knew that today I would need something with more substance than a full pack of gum. Though the words "pure" and "steadfast" may not seem to be secure words...they grounded and focused me.

"Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me" (v.10)

The reminder to have a pure life (honorable intentions, love, thoughts etc.) kept me focused while the fact that the Lord provides ultimate steadfastness kept me grounded. Thank you, Lord! Though I'm sure the list of trivial things I find security in will continue to grow and change, I know that the security I find in God is unchanging. Thank you, Lord.

2 comments:

The Barreness said...

Great post. Thank you Bethany. :)

Mom Keena said...

Security. Like always having earrings on. That's one of my quirky securities. But real security. I like that. Seems like I only find it in Him. Everything else is prone to change.